Saturday, August 15, 2009

Label Label Label


I am a firm believer in labeling quilts. After a quilt top is completed, I take a quick digital photo of the top. Nothing fancy - just a quick shot.

The next step is to transfer that image to my computer. The image is then cropped to just the quilt image. The resulting image is resized to fit an 8 1/2" x 11" page.


The image is imported into a word document, and a white circle is drawn on top of it.

All of the text that I want to appear on the label is typed onto the circle at this time.







This label is printed onto a prepared fabric using my inkjet printer.

This fabric label is attached to the quilt backing before the quilt is layered and quilted. The quilting securely attaches the label to the quilt. My quilt will be permanently labeled with my name, all information to allow for quilt return if being displayed, or all care instructions if the quilt will be gifted.

2 comments:

Judith said...

I have made 3 quilts and haven't labelled them as of yet! when I took a basic quilting course last year, this is something that wasn't told to us by the instructor. I will now get those quilts back and "label" them.

I do like your idea of taking a picture of the quilt top and using that as part of the label. I have one question though - do you havel the label as a 8.5 x 11 size or make it smaller?


Judith

Brenda Henning said...

Judith,
I make the label the full 8 1/2" x 11". The same size as the print ready fabric. The other choice would be to make it 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" and make 2 labels. I may or may not have two quilts to label, so I opt for the larger size. That also allows me to enter more information - or use a larger font, which is becoming more important as I age.
B